Lower back pain, taken paracetamol. Have asthma. How to reduce pain?

Hi, my father is in his 70 s and is quite an active man in general. Yesterday he was reaching down to pick up something very light and must have done something to his lower back. He is in such excrutiating pain. The pain came on all of a sudden...He said he was not lifting anything heavy at all. We found a pair of crutches for him but even to walk around he is in so much pain, I have put him in a chair with a hot water bottle on his lower back and given him some paracetamol . I cannot give him aspirin because he is alergic to it. He also has asthma . He can hardly move from the chair. He describes the pain as sudden spasms and it is extremely painful. He has no incontinence , no fever etc..Any other advice you can give me in order to reduce his agony? Thanking you very much in advance
Asked On : Wed, 2 Jan 2013