Lower back pain, cough. MRI shows dessicated L4-L5. Is surgery the only option?

Dear Doctor, Last one and half month back, I had a violent caugh which made me stuck with lower back pain . Before the incident, i have been suffering from back pain from couple of months and the incident made me to rush to hospitals . After consulting with Orthopedic (25+ years exp), he suggested me to go for physio and few medicines. I could not recover, then I changed the doctor with an MRI . MRI report has a dessicated L4-L5. Doctor suggested me to go for an operation. Is surgery is the only option for me? how my life will be after surgery. What would be procedures of surgery? Thank you in advance.
Asked On : Mon, 14 Jan 2013