Low concentration, memory power, low confidence. Had an excellent academic and career record. What is the cause and remedy?

Dear Sir From last 3 years I am facing too much problems in my daily routine.I forgot small things like i take lunch twice or sometimes eat nothing from morning to evening, i went to market and forgot what stuff i have to buy and came back. When I read something I have to read it 3-4 times to understand and then also I understand a bit of it. When somebody talks to me I became blank and dont know what to respond and sit like a dumb person.When somebody turn on TV or music my head starts banging and I starts getting irritated.I have a small 2.5 year old kid sometimes I feel like running from him dont want to take his responsibilty. I am losing all my confidence. I have never been like this before when I was in school, CBSE has awarded me a one year scholarship for getting highest marks in mathematics(98%) in all over India. During my engineering college i was a gold medalist in mathematics for getting 100% marks. I was working with Cognizant and they awarded me as a best resource of the year among 5000 employees. When i looked back I never believe that I can get any such achievement again in my life. Please help me that atleast I can lead a simple and normal life.I am too much frustrated with my memory and under confident nature. I dont know what happen to me, Do I need a medication help or something else. Please Help!!!
Asked On : Mon, 23 Jul 2012
Hi, thanks for posting your concern in the HCM. I think you should consult a psychiatrist to rule out anxiety disorder, depression, sleep disorder, any form of dementia, or any other neuropsychiatric illness. Both anxiety and depression may present with memory problem, intellectual impairment, lack of concentration etc. Sleep disorders may also produce similar symptoms. A session of daily exercise and another relaxation session in a day may help to relax you and improve your performance. However, psychometric assessment and if required neuroimaging may be done to come to a specific diagnosis. For any further information, please write back to us. Regards. Dr. Kaushik