Loss of weight, appetite, arthritis. Chest X ray showed thickening and inflammation on one side. What is wrong?

Hi, today my mother received her chest x ray results back at the Drs. It showed slight thickening and inflammation on one side. I am worried it is cancer as she has to have a CT scan next Friday. She has been losing weight but is also very badly affected by arthritis, her hip has almost crumbled and she also has raynauds in her hands (not that this probably has anything to do with it). I lost my dad 4 years ago to lymphoma and I'm terrified i am going to lose my mother too. She has a slight cough but nothing major, no pain apart from in her hip and she is not coughing anything up. Thankyou.
Asked On : Sun, 7 Apr 2013