Losing weight, thirsty, frequent urination, cramping in back and chest. What is wrong?

Trying to talk my male friend, 55 years of age, to go to the doctor. Since January of this year he has lost alot of weight, months ago was very thirsty all the time but not so much now. Also was needing to go to the bathroom alot. He tells me now that he has been experiencing pain or cramping in his back and chest . It was severe several weeks ago but is getting better if he takes it easy. He is afraid of going to the doctor but I explained that probably a simple blood test and urine test would tell what was wrong. He has no medical and I was going to try to find free clinic in Sacramento area.
Asked On : Sat, 18 Aug 2012