Loose motion, had fever. Taken paracetamol & advised Zifi. Is Zifi safe for children?

my grandson is six months old and he is having loose motion for the past three days. he was having temperature of about 101.7 deg F but after the doctor prescribed paracetamal , his fever has gone but still he has the bowel problem. Doctor has prescribed today ZIFI 50 mg antibiotic . Is it ok to give small children ZIFI
Asked On : Fri, 20 Jul 2012
Hi,I had gone through your query and understand your concern.

I see similar cases in my clinic.Like your grandson,most of the children suffer from acute watery diarrhea due to rota virus.This type of diarrhea is self limiting and I often advise as follows:
>Breast feed frequenly
>Give oral rehydration solution(ORS) according to age and weight.
>Zinc tablet 20mg once daily for 10 days
>Paracetamol syrup if fever present

and request parents to keep patience as this type of diarrhea may take 3 to days to cure.

If your grandson's stool is mixed with blood and /or mucus,then I would suggest of taking antibiotic after getting positive stool R/M/E report.

Hope this helps you.If you have additional questions ,please do not hesitate to write us.

Wish your grandson good health.