Loose confidence when exams approach, mentally feel unable to give exams. Remedy?

hello,doc my name is rahul from india. right now i m pursuing final year bachelor in engineering in electronics and telecommunication my problem is that when semester comes my mind is totally changed and i loose my confidence to give exam and get mentally not able able to give the exam. till the higher secondary education i score good marks in the exam.
Asked On : Tue, 16 Oct 2012
hi rahul, as our experience about the engineering, they start to study by the end of the semester might be just before the exams. i am not sure whether you also practice the same thing or not, if you have this habit i would suggest you that it would be difficult to remember every thing which you study like that, because when you study under so much pressure it might be difficult to remember every thing as your mind would be constantly worried about the exams rather than trying to study for the knowledge. it would be advisable to start studying from the beginning of the semester so that you get lot of time to revise the subject few time before going to the exams.
Psychiatrist Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar's  Response
Hi and welcome to Healthcare Magic. Thanks for your question...

It appears that you are suffering from an anxiety-related problem. You also need to work on your self-esteem and self-confidence. There are effective psychotherapy / counselling techniques available to help you overcome this exam-related stress and anxiety. Kindly consult a psychiatrist for further evaluation and treatment advise

Wish you all the best.

- Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar
Consultant Psychiatrist
Psychiatrist Dr. Gourav Monga's  Response
hello rahul

welcome to public forum of health care magic

Relax and don't worry........ this is a common problem among students. Try to discuss the topics with your friends and rehearse them 2-3 times before will build enough confidence in exams

You should visit a psychiatrist for some medication to relax yourself during exam and also for counselling sessions.

Try some relaxation exercises like deep breathing, yoga or meditation which can help you......s

Good Luck