Loneliness, drowsiness, attention grabbing. Is the behaviour acceptable?

My daughter is 16 months old. From the age of 4 months she has a habit of crossing her legs & giving an internal push, like some sort of exercise. Earlier she used to do it lying on her back. Now she does it lying on her stomach . Many times she does it standing as well. Her legs will be crossed and she takes support of the wall or chair to do her exercise. If not stopped she continues it upto 10 minutes or more. Till 13 months this behaviour was sometimes triggered by lonliness, drowsiness, attention grabbing. Sometimes she used to start it if her demand was not met. From the last 3 months she does it without any reason also. If we ask her to stop doing the activity and get up, she listens sometimes. All other behaviour are normal. She is very active, likes to play, go outdoor, mingle with other children. She also understands what we tell her. Please let us know if this is something to worry about & when we can expect this behavour to stop. Do we need to give her any specific treatment?
Asked On : Fri, 15 Feb 2013
Jun 2013
Hi there ~

I am sorry that your daughter is doing all these behaviours and is sometimes becoming a public embarrassment. I think that she might be having some obsessive compulsive behavior which makes her do it in places that she shouldn't and this is a cause of concern. However I recommend that you consult a psychologist to find out what the reason is and he/she can make the appropriate referral to a psychiatrist. I hope this helps. Take care and have a good day !