Legs going numb after sitting for a while. History of broken vertebrae in an accident. Could this be related to spinal nerve damage?

After sitting on the toilet the other day, my husband (60 y/o) stood up, legs went numb, and he fell backwards and broke the toilet tank in several pieces. He was in a minor car accident a few wks ago and either fractured or broke a vertebrae in the top of his spine (medical team is undecided). He has never had this problem before the accident. However, after showering yesterday, he almost fell out of the tub but caught himself with the soap dish handle. Could these falls be related to a nerve in the damaged spine area?
Asked On : Mon, 9 Jul 2012
Thank you for asking HCM
I have gone through your query.Your problem is most likely due to nerve impingement from crack in vertebrae or disc prolapse. An MRI will be needed to rule out the condition.Most cases can be managed conservatively by physiotherapy exercises muscle relaxants and analgesics.I usually give NSAID like aceclofenac and muscle relaxant like thiocolchicoside for a short term,neurotropic drugs and neurovitamins and send for physiotherapy.If no improvement or there is serious injury found in MRI then a surgical option can be taken.It is better to consult an Orthopedician and rule out.Hope this may help you.
Let me know if you have any further query