Left knee pops on straightening, visible. Pain, discomfort more on walking. Medical care required?

The outer side of my left knee pops when I fully straighten it. It is not heard but felt and you can visually see it happening. I can walk but after sitting for a long period it stiffens up but the pain and discomfort that this causes is alleviated when I move around again. The palapble popping, only on the outer side is there at all times I straighten my knee fully regardless of if ive been moving or sitting still. Should I visit a doctor?
Asked On : Thu, 21 Feb 2013
Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement 's  Response
Feb 2014
Hi and welcome to HCM

The frequent knee pops that you are having is likely to be due to osteoarthritic changes in the knee joints. Regular physiotherapy exercises and joint lubricant supplements will help in a long term improvement. Do get it examined from an orthopedician to confirm.

I do hope that you have found something helpful and informative and I will be glad to answer any further query.