Large holes on tonsils, collected food particles smell. Should I get tonsils removed ?

My tonsils have large holes in them and collect food particles that make my breath smell. I have removed these particles with my finger because gargling with mouthwash and salt washes will not remove them. I had gone to an Eye, Nose and Mouth Specialist about 4-5 yrs ago and he said just to continue with my way of removing them. The holes only became larger and collect more food. There are no problems with my teeth . At what point would or should I consider having them removed? I grew up with with quite a few bouts of strep throat and upper respiratory problems.
Asked On : Sat, 22 Sep 2012