Knee popped. Can I have strained it?

Hi. I was exercising today and as I was about to jump (high impact) I felt something pop in the back of my leg behind my left knee . Do you think that I have strained a muscle or a tendon? I am fine when my leg is bent, but when I straighten it, walk, run, walk up stairs etc it hurts. It does feel very stiff when I walk, like I have over extended it.
Asked On : Thu, 31 Jan 2013
Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement 's  Response
Feb 2014
From description it seems to be muscular or ligamentous strain of knee. I suggest you to give rest to your knee. Avoid exercises that involve painful muscle. Doing hot fomatation and applying muscle relaxant gel will be helpful.
Hope this will be helpful.
You can contact me directly through my profile.
Dr Saurabh gupta