Itching outside anus, affects a wider area when severe. Temporary relief with Xyloproct. Permanent remedy?

Hi I have a long term itching problem that occurs around the outside of my anus . When very bad it becomes prickly and feels like its affecting a wider area. I have been treating it with a proscribed cream called Xyloproct which keeps it at bay for a while but it always returns. I don t have piles or anything like that and feel this is an infection. I d really like to get rid of it, can you help?
Asked On : Wed, 9 Jan 2013

Thank you for the query.

Please note that you are unable to tell if you have hemorrhoids or not without rectoscopy. Usually hemorrhoids are invisible as they are hidden inside the anus. So you can have them and not know about it.
And chronic anus itching is usually caused by hemorrhoids or (if the itching appears mostly in the morning) by pinworms.

I suggest you to visit your doctor, have rectoscopy to see if there are any hemorrhoids or not. In case of lack of hemorrhoids, pinworms test should be done.

Hope this will help.