Is this just an infection that is bacterial or could it be mosquito bites ?

My friend, who is a male, has had a skin infection that has just gotten worse as the days have gone by. He noticed it about 9-10 days ago after he shaved his face . It was on the jawline of the left side of his face. It looked like it was crusted over with a yellowish puss, which he admitted to picking at continuously. Just today I saw him again because he was worried about it. It has grown larger and really looks infected. He also had a similiar, but smaller spot that is just to the left of the bridge of his nose too. He said it just seemed to appear out of nowhere and he kind of picked at it, but it will keep crusting over because it's definitely infected. Now he says there's a "lump" in his throat , but it might just be a swollen gland . He has no idea if the two issues are related, but he is getting worried about it and doesn't know if it's serious enough to go to the ER or to just buy rubbing alcohol for it. Is this just an infection that's bacterial or could it be related to an mosquito bites (mosquitoes have been oddly, quite prevalent the past few weeks)... I also know for a fact that it is not contagious because when it was smaller, we had made contact and I had touched it because it was not as serious.
Asked On : Sun, 22 Aug 2010
Thanks for query.
Your friend is having soft tissue infection on face,spreaded on nose.
Clean the lesion with betadine lotion and do the dressing with antibiotic cream properly and daily.
Take antibiotic course for 5-7 days.take anti inflammatory medicines.
Swelling in the throat is due to enlarge lymph node due to this infection.
If it is not cured,consult surgeon.
Ok and bye.