Is there anything wrong in having our child in bed during sleep?

Hi Doctor, my husband wont let my daughter sleep in our bed saying that she needs to learn to be independent. But both my husband I work full time and we only get to spend approx 1 hour of the whole day with our kid and would love to keep my daughter in bed with me, just to make up for all the time that I dont get to spend with her. Is there anything wrong in having our daughter in our bed? Kids want to get independent by the age of 9 or 10 years... my daughter is only 4 years old and longs to be with us as much as we can, but we hardly any time to spend with her as we work full time and she attends the daycare from 7am to 6pm.
Asked On : Thu, 5 Jul 2012

thanks for writing to healthcare magic

there is nothing wrong to let your baby sleep with you

infact it gives a little more time to tell her stories to her about various problems and better and more time together

take time to spend more time with your daughter.... i suggest one hour a day may not be just enough..............

even though they are busy parents must be spending more time with their children for better development

hope this helps

take care

Psychologist Dr. K. V. Anand's  Response
Dec 2015
I understand your feelings
On second thoughts,
You are right
You must give maximum attention to your child
They need your caring throughout day
Affection is all that they want now
It is advisable to allow her to sleep with you upto the age of tleast eight.
Then you shall think of independance to her
Tell your husband so and take him to a child psychologist if need be.
Dec 2015
Thanks for your query

For a 4 year child, love and affection from their parents are of utmost importance even when they are sleeping. They will have security feeling with their parents.
Children feel insecure upto the age of 6 - 7 years.
When they start thinking independently (when they can reason) their insecurity feeling slowly vanishes.
It will be better to allow your child to sleep with you till she is at least 6.

Good Luck

Dr. Anand