Is there any way to cure my depression caused due to my parent's disinterest in me ?

I am psycologically very upset. Please help me. Actually the thing is- I am a student of class 12 in medical stream. I am a brilliant child- and its my ambition to become a neurosurgeon . In coming months, I am going to appear for various medical entrances. Now, the thing is- my parents doesn t want me to study in India. They want me to go abroad- But I am not interested for that. Actually, You might know that a child who loves to study, doesn t like much to talk. So, many times I doesn t give time to my family. I just sit in my room- studying and all that. So, my parents think that I don t like them, I will not take care of them in future. I have one younger bro- they love him alott, but always ignore me.. But the real thing is - i love my parents alottt, my bro too. I always think in my mind, that one day I will become a successful person and will give my parents a comfortable life. But my parents think that I don t think about them- so they want me to go abroad- so that I may settle there, and they can live a comfortable life with my younger bro. But I don t want to go abroad. Please give me suggestion- what should I do?
Asked On : Fri, 18 Mar 2011
Hi dear
Welcome to HealthcareMagic.

I understand what you are going through. It is normal for an elder kid to think the way you do. If you really love your parents your first duty is to communicate with them efficiently .I am sure they love you a lot too as they are your parents , they must be thinking to give you the best .In this process , they neglect a few small things , it is your responsibility to ask for what you need.If you are preparing for an entrance exam it is important to stop these thought s and dilemma and then your efficiency will show up.Your ambition needs lot of mental stability and openness , try to make habit of them now itself.I am sure if you sit down and talk to them they ll understand your point.

Feel free to ask us if anything.

Good luck.
  Anonymous's Response
You might be psychologically upset .... but don't get fooled by the other response here that is suggesting you might be psychologically weak and might not be able to go through with the study course. tell your parents what you think about all this. if it helps, take a print out of this page here and show it to them, if you are not able to talk directly. this might break the ice.