Is there any way of extracting the painful wisdom tooth without performing bone graft ?

I m 5 5 168 lbs and 55 years old. I m teething at 55 years old! j/k I have a Lt upper wisdom tooth that is just a simple straight up and down angle. The tooth is giving me pain into my Lt. ear and temple. I went into the dentist and of course they send you to a specialist. (sigh) (Whatever happened to the dentists who could actually do there job and pull out a simple wisdom tooth?) Anyway...this specialist tells me that it will be ONE THOUSAND dollars to pull out my tooth! Why so much? The specialist says I need a bone graft as well. I m sorry but I don t believe it. What did people do before bone grafts when they had a wisdom tooth extracted? I have another tooth #4 that is shattered under the gumline and that is where I would need the bone graft imho. Can I find a dentist to pull out my wisdom tooth without using a bone graft? If get another opinion...I will be down another $85.00! (sigh) I asked the specialist how long the extraction would take. she said not more then 1hr. Again..I m having a problem with someone making ONE THOUSAND dollars an HOUR. Dental charges are out of control and just as bad as MDs...its not right! Yeah, yeah...I know..they went to school and have office upkeep etc. I would be embarrassed to ask for that much money from a person who clearly is in need of help. Sorry...I m frustrated and am in pain dealing with 2 dental issues all at once. (already posted my other dental issue) Anyway..... 1) Can I get a wisdom tooth pulled without a bone graft? 2) Can I get a specialist to tell me if I can do without the bone graft and not spend another $85.00 for a yes or no answer? I would bring in my x-rays?
Asked On : Tue, 3 May 2011