Is rib breaking and artery tearing normal after a mitral valve replacement surgery ?

My dad had surgery on Monday for a mitral valve replacement . He went into surgery 3 more times after that on the same day. He kept bleeding to much, finally after the 3rd surgery, they found the cause of it. When they opened his breast bone , a rib broke and tore an artery. Was my dad bleeding internally? If they left it like that could he have died? Is this common for a rib to break like this. I am soooo glad the dr went in again to double check.
Asked On : Wed, 15 Jun 2011