1. The 'malena' (black , tarry stool) is due to the swallowed blood which is denatured by gastric acid
and the oxidation of the hemoglobin
as the blood passes through lower gastrointestinal tract.
2. If your post-tonsillectomy
bleeding has stopped and if there is no fresh red blood in your stools, there should be no cause for worry.
3. This amount shows the severity of your post-tonsillectomy bleeding. What is your drop in hemoglobin? What was your coagulogram?
4. Rarely, if the blood in stool
continues, it may be due to continued bleeds or gastric ulcerations cause by the swallowed blood and the stress. Another cause may be iron supplements
that may have been prescribed.
5. If this does not subside, you may have to seek medical examination.