Is my nail color black because of some bacteria in it ?

Hey doc, I am a 19 yr old . From I was about 15 I realize that 2 nails on each feet became dark brown almost black. About 2 yrs later one of the nails on my foot came back to the normal colour,( well extremely close). My mom say it s hereditary as both she and a few family members hats it. If this was the case, why did the nail change when I was a teen? Also why only one change colour. I m thinking isn t hereditary. Could it be cause by a bacteria or something? & PLZZZ how can get rid of it. ( When I put on nail polish and remove it the colour lightens and stays this way then return in about a week or so afterwards). Please help
Asked On : Fri, 11 Mar 2011
Ayurveda Specialist 's  Response
welcome to healthcaremagic
it may be both cause bacterial infection or hereditary.
Pseudomonas bacterial infection can occur between the natural nail plate and the nail bed, and/or between an artificial nail coating and the natural nail plate. The after effects of this infection will cause the nail plate to darken and soften underneath an artificial coating.
IN some cases it may be hereditary as your parent has same
For confirmation contact your physicians