Is my baby normal ? why is she behaving in this fashion ?

My daughter is 26 months old.When she was about 20 months old,one day while sitting on my lap she started rubbing hereself.And after that it became her habit,many times she used to lay down and rub herself for hours and gave such wiered expressions as though she is masturabting.I tried to make her understand with love that dont do dear its not good,but all in vain.This continued for around 2-3 months and one day finally she gave up this habit and I was relaxed.But from 2,3 days again after a gap of around 3 months she has again started rubbing herself and its just impoosible to stop her from doing so,if I stop her she throughs tantrums and cries a lot. I am really worried for my little one,otherise she is a very bright and normal child.She is very playful and intelligent,she knows all the alphabets,poems,names of days in a week. But her this activity is giving me lots of tension,she is also afraid of loud sounds. Kindly help me and let me know is my baby normal,why is she behaving in this fashion
Asked On : Fri, 18 Dec 2009
Psychiatrist, Child 's  Response
In a process of development child may do such mastrubatory activity which can be considered as a neurotic trait.
You can do distraction (i.e. engage in another interested activity) and avoidance.
Check for urinary tract infection.

Anonymous's Response
Not to alarm you but, is it possible this is learned behavior from someone touching her this same way? Children are great immitaters. Pay very close attention to those who spend time alone with her. No one should be ommited as a suspect. Family members as well. You may be her only protector. Consult a child abuse expert in the signs to look for and how to question the child in a non threating way. Good luck!
Do consult doctor, we need detailed case history to come to any diagnosis