Intermittent difficulty in swallowing due to obstruction in throat, regular ear pain on the same side. Related?

For the past few months I have been feeling on and off as if I cant swallow . Best way to describe this feeling is like I have something in my throat . Recently, I have begun to excessively swallow because it feels like an obstruction in my throat. Also, have been having regular ear pain. I went to my doctor because I thought I may have an ear infection , however the doctor told me he believed it was inflammation in my jaw. He prescribed a Z-Pac for precaution but the ear aches continue. I have noticed that the feeling in my throat is on the same side as the ear that has begun to cause me pain. Are these symptoms related and what does this mean?
Asked On : Sat, 29 Dec 2012