Instant excruciating pain in foot due to fall of heavy object, swelling, bruised. Sprain/fracture ?

Dropped heavy object on foot yesterday. Instant excruciating pain lasting all night. Couldn t touch the area and laughing even caused pain to commence. Plantar aspect of foot hurt worse than dorsal region. O X-rays taken as I felt it was a minor sprain . Some bruising and swelling . When I walk I can t plant the ball of my foot down and push off to extend toes it creates a lot of pain? Sprain or fracture to the second metatarsal?
Asked On : Wed, 22 Aug 2012