Injured middle finger. Why does it swell?

I have fallen from my bike 16days before & somehow have injured my right hand middle finger .When i came back home its swells near the middle knuckle hand (metacarpal). The next day i cant bend my finger much & its hurts a lot,slowly after 7days i can make a fist & straighten my finger now its now it just hurt a little near the knuckle when i make a fist & when i try to make my finger backward & try to make a crack & try to open a cap of the bottle but i feel the pain is going down day by day. The main problem is my swelling ...yes it gone down much but after a certain extent its not going down... i am icing it .But it doesn t seems to going down.its almost 16 days.
Asked On : Fri, 28 Sep 2012
Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement 's  Response
I would suggest you to get X ray of the hand to make sure that there is no hairline fracture in your middle finger, also I would like to advice you to use it too much. Do not be worried about swelling if your x ray is normal as it can be there for 2 more weeks. I would also recommend you to take Brufen tablet for pain relief and hot water fomentation.