Injured calves by running. Why are they sore?

Yes, I have been jogging for about 4 months...3-5 miles, 6 times a week. I have most recently ran more on my treadmill than outside, because of the heat. I don t run as well on my treadmill and think that because I increased my speed and distance on the treadmill that I ve injured my calves. They have been extremely sore for about a week...I have continued to run at a slower speed and less distance, but they are still sore...what should I do?
Asked On : Sun, 3 Jun 2012
Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement 's  Response
I want to tell you that running speed should be up tp 6 or 7. Or such that you can continue it without pain. when you increase speed too much it causes fast and shallow breathing and muscles receive less oxygen. So my suggestion to you is not to run fast.