Infant seems to have cold sweats but is warm. What could the cause be?

Hi, my baby is nearly 4 weeks old and she is having cold sweats. She is being swaddled but she seems to be going from hot to cold and sweaty. I am worried because I read that this may be related to sids. I have checked her temperature and it is 96.5 what would be the reason she is having cold sweats when she is warm enough?
Asked On : Thu, 25 Oct 2012

Thank you for your query.

You have mentioned that your baby's temperature is 96.5F but you have not mentioned the site from where the temperature has been taken. This is certainly a low temperature whether it has been taken in the arm pit or rectally.

My recommendation for my patients is to keep them adequately wrapped so that the palms and soles are not cold to touch. They should be so wrapped that the temperature in the arm pit should be around 97.5-98F. Ensure that this is the temperature of your baby and if there are cold sweats then get her examined by a doctor.

I hope I have answered your query to your satisfaction.