Infant having bright red, shiny, rash with yellow crust behind the right ear, bumps. What can i do?

Last night I discovered a bright red, shiny, rash with yellow crust behind the right ear of my 2 year old (34 months). He also has some bumps right above the rash at the beginning of his hairline. The left ear is not affected. He also has a diaper rash. Ive cleaned it a few times but im not sure if I should put anything on it. He does not seem to be scratching it. It does not appear to hurt him unless I touch/clean/wipe it with the wash cloth. I called his pediatrician and am waiting for a call back but decided to research while I waited. Can you help? Does he need to see a doctor right away or can it wait until I make him an appointment with his pediatrician on Monday?
Asked On : Tue, 16 Apr 2013