Infant having blue discoloration around vaginal area. Should I be worried?

We had a baby girl in diapers at church today. When changing the diaper we noticed a blue discoloration on the outside of the vaginal area. We asked mom and she said she had it since birth and her pediatriction said it would probably go away. Not swollen, just even discoloration like a bruise? A friend of mine said that sometimes persian and asian babies will have discoloration that look like bruised in their cracks, for instance on their back side. ?
Asked On : Thu, 24 Jan 2013

Thank you for your query.

Going by your description it appears like a Mongolian Spot which usually subsides with time. If the pediatrician has seen it and is not worried about it then all the more better.

Mongolian Spots are usually seen on the back and vary in size. They disappear as an infant grows.

I hope I have answered your query to your satisfaction.

Wishing the baby girl all the best.

Pediatrician Dr. E Venkata Ramana's  Response
Feb 2013
Bluish discoloration spots are seen in young children over the body mostly on trunk back side and they are called Mongolian spots. They will disappear by 3 to 5 years of age.And they present since birth and nothing to worry.
So the blue spot may be a Mongolian spot as it is blue and it is not swollen.
Hope i have answered your query.
Pediatrician Dr. Synthyia Bhagat's  Response
Thanks for your query
These bluish spots are mongolian spots seen in some babies and usually subside as child grows.usually by 5 years of age.
So there is nothing to worry as you have pediatrician has also said the same.

Wishing your baby good health.
God bless