Indentation on leg below knee, no pain. Help

My dad has like indentations that go around his leg right below his knees. This is appearing on both legs, they don t hurt or anything it just looks like if you have been wearing knee socks for a while and it shows an impression at the top of the sock. But he doesn t wear knee socks. I don t know what this is or what it means. please help??!!
Asked On : Thu, 11 Oct 2012
Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement 's  Response
Feb 2014
Thanks for writing to us

There are normally two below knee indentations due to the anatomy of the muscles and the knee joint . I assume that you are referring to the recently noticed prominence of the same which could be due to the workouts and nothing serious.

However if you have noticed visible swelling or fullness which can be indented with fingers on applying pressure then it is more likely to be the beginning of a muscle overuse injury.Still I consider it less likely because you mention that there is no pain or limitation of movement involved.

What happens when we start exercising a particular part of our body is that the muscles undergo considerable stress and if the technique is improper or the warm up/ stretching exercises are skipped then the muscles can get overuse damage resulting in swelling , pain etc.

I do hope that you have found something helpful and I will be glad to answer any further query.