Increase in height without weight gain

My son is 3.6 yrs old, and he has a head circumference of 47cm. he has a height of 95cm. His weight is 11.5 and the weight does not increase for the past 2 yrs but the height has increased. is it normal? Does the head circumference increase after 3 yrs? My ped. ask me to give Practin EN for 6 weeks along with iron and calcium syrups. Is it ok to give Practin EN to increase appetite . is it ok or what i should do pls help me.
Asked On : Mon, 30 Apr 2012
Welcome to Health Care Magic.

The following are the growth parameters for the age 3and half years.

Parameter Expected Actual Inference

Height 92-98 cm 95 cm With in normal limits

weight 15-18 kgs 11.5kg less than expected

Head Circumference around 47-48 cm 47cm with in normal limits

Based on the above chart your child has poor weight gain ( the expected weight is based on the birth weight which is considered as 3 kg) and other parameters are normal.

Yes, head circumference does increase after 3 years, but it will be slow. At the age of 3 years head circumference should be 47cm and reaches maximum of 52cm by the age of 12 yrs.

Practin EN does help in improving appetite.

Give your child a healthy diet. Give him plenty of fresh fruits. Give him banana and citrus fruits instead of an apple.

Provide him more pulses. If you take non vegetarian diet i would like to recommend to give him 2 eggs daily .

Hope your son recovers soon.