I wanna know whether giving her oil bath daily is harmful or not ?

I wanna know whether giving her oil bath daily is harmful I recently a month back had a baby girl born. He is weighing 4kgs 300 gms. She is healthy and cute good looking. having her mother s milk and also outside milk. I wanna know whether giving her oil bath daily is harmful. I was told that my mother used to give me oil head bath on daily basis. But my wife says those are all olden day formalities. NOw she is afraid to give oil bath and even apply oil to the baby s head. Please clarify whether I can can or not.
Asked On : Tue, 4 Jan 2011
Welcome to HealthcareMagic Forum

Massaging baby with oil isnot harmful at all. Infact its been an age old ritual to give newborns oil massge, followed by a little exposure to sunlight. This helps in strengthing of bones . Sunlight is needed for vit D formation. If the baby is sick (ex- fever) then you may avoid massage & bath.