I started notice it burned my eyes so I stopped using Bleach

I was cleaning with bleach that was not diluted. I started notice it burned my eyes so I stopped using it. I was wondering how long after the first exposure before poisoning or damage occurs. Secondly, if it is about 8 hours after, should I still have soreness in the throat and chest?
Asked On : Sat, 26 Mar 2011
Hello, welcome to HCM. Bleach vapours can be very injurious if exposed to great amounts. You are definitely having symtoms because of its action. You need to clear up your throat and eyes completely by repeated washing with normal saline or distilled water. You must consult a doctor to assess the damage incured. You might need an x ray of chest done. Wish you good health.
Orthopaedic Surgeon Dr. Aashish Raghu's  Response
Welcome to Healthcare Magic
Since you still have problems related to the bleach you need to get decontaminated. It will require saline wash at a Clinic or Hospital. Also it will take a while, maybe 2-3 days for recovery from exposure, but it would be best to get a consult with your Doctor to rule out skin and mucous membrane damage. Avoid vapours of the bleach to escape as well by keeping it in a tight sealed container or bag. You may do steam inhalation for some relief for time being.
General & Family Physician Dr. Vasudha Jayant Athavale's  Response
The symtoms you had are definately due to exposure to undiluted bleach . chlorine which is evolved from bleaching action. chlorine has a strong irritant action to respiratory tract. which ,if strong enough, may need medication.Pl. consult a physician .(however a mild reaction resolves naturally.)
Children are to be definately kept away from chemicals their organs are delicate.
Please take care.
  Anonymous's Response
my baby was around the house and there was a lot of bleach used. is that okay.
Anesthesiologist Dr. T.L.Ravendra Kumar's  Response
If you have a persisting cough with or without fever 'then only you have to worry then take a chest xray to verify you have any lung complication due to inhalation