I hurt my leg & got a open wound, What can I do to heal it ?

Open wound - taking ages to heal - itchy and smelly help Hi I hurt my leg on new years eve - I fell off a skidoo and the inside of my left leg above the ankle was crushed by a metal bar that runs around the back of the passenger seat. The injury is taking forever to heal. It happened on holiday in France - the wound bled and my foot was swollen. The tissues had been crushed by the heavy weight for maybe 2 minutes before we could get the skidoo off. The skin was broken and squashed inwards. On holiday I rested my leg and elevated it, I got advice from a French pharmacist who gave me an anticeptic wash, gauze and dressings. On my return I visited the doctors - mainly because I suspected an infection due to the reddening around the wound. She prescribed a high dose of penicillin which I took for a week. The following week I was still not happy and saw my doctor who took a swab to check for any further infection. It was nearing a month and the wound was still weeping, itchy and not fully scabbed over. The swab came back negative. Since then I have just left the wound alone - it gradually scabbed over. It has always been madly itchy and the scab has been quite frail. Today the scab came off in my boot and I have to say it smelt so bad. I am left with a crater maybe 3 or 4 mm in depth mainly pink but with some yellow areas. It is madly madly itchy. The surrounding tissue is tight and lumpy. The remaining wound is about 30mm across by 25mm. What can I do to help it heal ? Will it heal on it s own? How can I stop it itching. Please help I feel caught between a rock and a hard place. It is so insignificant that I don t want to waste my doctors time again and again - it is impossible to get an appointment so your advice would be invaluable. Thanks
Asked On : Wed, 16 Feb 2011
Homeopath 's  Response
hello .. to help the healig process take calendula 200 2 doses and simultaneously u can apply calendula cream on the wound its homeoapthic medicine.. god bless..
OBGYN Dr. Rhea Chanda's  Response
You would if infected,i believe.The yellow areas could be pus pocket.Either the infection happened after the swab or the swab may be improperly taken.Either ways now would be a could time to see a orthopeadic surgeon.You might need higher antibiotics and dressing.Also i would advise you do get a CBC,Radom blood sugar.You need to know if infection persists and high sugars lower healing rates.I would advise seeing a doctor again.
Dermatologist Dr. Gaurang Krishna's  Response
Also get an X ray done to see if there is any foreign Body in there.
It is very important to immobilize your leg for the wound to heal properly. You may see an orthopedic surgeon and consult regarding a POP cast. For the itching use any soothing lotion like Calamine 3-4 times daily.