I have septated cyst, can you please tell me about terminology

Hi. I first noticed this lump as the size of a pea on the right side of my neck almost a handswidth under my ear . (I have a long neck, so it IS still on my neck..LOL) At the time that I noticed the lump I experienced feverless chills for three days (the worst I have ever experienced.) I saw my provider a week and three days after I first noticed the lump. By the time I saw him, the lump had grown to the size of a pingpong ball. It does not hurt, though as it grows, the area AROUND it swells and is tender to the touch. The area around it is also very warm to the touch. My doctor took no blood samples, poked and prodded it a bit, told me it was an infection (though gave me no antibiotics ), and sent me to get an ultrasound . The ultrasound results came back saying that it is a septated cyst (approx 2x2x1cm)...posterior to the angle of the mandible...sonography of the thyroid demonstrates a smal 4x5mm simple cyst and recommended I see an ENT specialist . My concerns are the rate of growth, the fact that it does NOT roll (though it does move with lots of pressure to one side or the other), and it does not hurt. I am frustrated because my doctor did not answer any of my questions about it and did not do what I have read so many other doctors would have done (ie- blood work, antibiotics, etc). PLUS, my doctor s nurse, when she called with the referral to ENT, mentioned that I would be getting the cyst removed ASAP, but failed to tell my why the rush??? I see ENT next week, and am sure I will get more answers. However, in the meantime, I am trying very very hard not to stress out over something that I am sure is nothing. Can you help by explaining a little about the terminology and what it means and what it may mean as far as removal so that I am better prepared by my appt? Thank you.
Asked On : Thu, 10 Feb 2011
ENT Specialist 's  Response

This can be an infected lymph node which has undergone liquefaction due to the pressure. It has to be removed before it causes damage to the surrounding structures (due to increase in growth and pressure). Only after removing the cyst, it can be examined under microscope and a diagnosis can be made.

Dr. Naveen Kumar