I have rough dead skin on foot and ankles. Do i need medical attention ?

History: I m a 27 year old caucasian male and have had this skin condition for approximately 3-4 years. I have always lived in Idaho, southern until about 3 years ago, North Idaho from there. I take a multivitamin 2-3 times a week and exercise regularly. Periodically I have had temporary red/flaky patches on my hands and feet which were resolved by switching to unscented/non-dyed soap. That condition still flares up periodically, generally when I ve used soap in a public restroom or somewhere else where i have no control over the soap. However this condition persists: Condition: The skin on the top of my foot forward of my ankles, directly above the cuboid bone feels noticeably rough and thick compared to the rest of the skin on the upper part of my feet. It often peels and flakes. It usually takes on a desaturated color, grey-ish compared to the rest of my skin, usually slightly darker than the rest of my skintone. When I peel away the dead/flaking skin it is a normal pink tone of any other healing skin. There is NO itching or burning sensation. It doesn t affect my day-to-day life, except being unsightly when wearing flip-flops or going barefoot. Ways I ve tried to treat: I ve tried a series of moisturizing creams and OTC steroid creams without any improvement, other than very temporary relief of the flaking. The rough, thick skin persists. Varying my water intake and bathing habits (from multiple showers per day to only one every couple of days) has no perceptible influence on the condition.
Asked On : Wed, 13 Jul 2011