I have been having heart palpitations. should I go directly to a heart doc. or what ?

I have been having heart palpitations (I m not real sure if that is how you spell it) I have had them here and there growing up, but nothing major. I noticed them more when I was pregnant with my children. But here lately they are becoming more frequent. I have no medical history due to being adopted. Sometimes if I am lying flat i can t breath , other times i ll be sitting here just like I am now and can feel my heart go nuts. It feels like I can t breath, my heart skips beats and it feels like I have butterflies in my stomach. If i get upset it starts, or if I yell at the kids for dinner I loose my breath. I saw my family doc and he is an idiot. He said I need a day at a spa!! Can I or should I go directly to a heart doc. or what? Thank you.
Asked On : Sat, 19 Dec 2009