I have an enlarged heart according to the x ray

I went to the doctor sat and was told that I have an enlarged heart according to the exray. is this serious?
Asked On : Wed, 16 Dec 2009
hi,thanks for query.There could be various reason for having this,this is a finding not a disease itself,diagnosis and treatment of primary cause is important,this only can decide the severity of disease.The common reasons could be uncontrolled hypertension,some valvular heart problems,some problem of lunges etc.
wishing you good health.
Cardiomegaly is abnormal enlargement of the heart. It's not a disease, but a sign of an underlying problem. Many conditions can cause an enlarged heart, including: High blood pressure Heart valve disorders Weakness of the heart muscle (cardiomyopathy) Severe anemia Thyroid disorders Excessive iron in the body (hemochromatosis) Abnormal protein buildup in an organ (amyloidosis) In some people, an enlarged heart causes no signs or symptoms. Others may have: Breathing difficulties Shortness of breath Dizziness Abnormal heart rhythm (arrhythmia) Swelling (edema) An enlarged heart may be found incidentally on a chest X-ray done for some other reason. A doctor can confirm a diagnosis by an ultrasound of the heart (echocardiogram). Treatment is directed at the underlying cause.