I have a BP of 180/100mmHg.Do I have hypertension?

I am 23 years old and working as Software Engineer. I had recently checked my BP and the recording was 180/100. Do I have hypertension???
Asked On : Fri, 8 Jan 2010
Hi.. The BP recording of 180/100mmHg is high. The upper limit of a normal BP recording is 140/90mmHg. Any thing above is mentioned as high.

There are various reasons for a high BP. Stress and anxiety are one of the cause. Patient who have hypertension also have high BP.

It is difficult to predict if the cause for such high BP is secondary to hypertension. Though it is more likely.

You may have to repeat checking the BP for a couple of more days preferably during the morning hours when you are properly relaxed.

If the repeat BP are also high then you are probably having hypertension.

You may have to do few more test to know the cause for hypertension in such a young age group..
  Anonymous's Response

Yes it could be. Keep checking your BP everyday for one week. if its still high, then you need to started on medications. take care..