I had tancodep for depression, can i continue this?

Sir , I am diagnised with cervical spontilities, due to my depression I am already consuming tancodep tablets, can I continue,
Asked On : Tue, 18 Jan 2011
Hi Mr Durairaj Kannappan,

Tancodep (Diazepam and Imipramine) would not usually cause any problems if you have spondilitis so it is ok to continue.

But, Diazepam, one of the medicines in Tancodep should not be take for more than 4 weeks altogether or else OUR BODY GETS ADDICTED TO IT. LATER ON WE WILL HAVE PROBLEMS STOPPING THE TABLET. ALSO YOU WILL START TO NEED MORE DOSE AS YOUR BODY IS GETTING USED TO AND NOT RESPONDING TO THE CURRENT DOSE OF TABLET. Hence, according to international guidelines and best practise, Diazepam is not to be used in the treatment for more than 4-6 weeks.

Also, Imipramine, the antidepressant component of the tablet, is A VERY OLD, VERY ANTIDEPRASSANT. It belongs to a type of antidepressants called TCAs which have most side effects of all the anti depressant medication and hence we rarely use them as first line now a days.

We use this class of antidepressant if there is a problem with patient not being able to pay for new costly but safe antidepressants, or if many other anti depressants have been tried in the past and have not worked or if they have been stable on this medication for long time and hence not able to come off it.

If you have none of the above problems, please discuss with your psychiatrist if he can change it to another drug as IMIPRAMINE IS BETTER NOT USED IN ELDERLY PATIENTS OR PATIENTS WITH HISTORY OF HEART PROBLEMS OR WITH RISK FACTORS FOR HEART PROBLEMS.

Good Luck