I am taking dental pain medications also, but still have pain , please suggest me what should I do ?

I had a caries of tooth from 6 days. I used to take pain medications and the pain used to come out. From 2 days i noticed that my cheek started becoming big. There was lot of pain also. I started getting fever also. Is ther any thing wrong. Iam taking pain medications also, but still the pain is not coming down
Asked On : Sat, 31 Oct 2009
First of all, with all the symptoms you have stated, i guess you have got infection and caries since months, but u noticed it 6 days back.
Analgesics (medication which subside pain) is not treatment, its just temporary relief to buy some time for you to get complete treatment. so, its not going to solve your problem.
Your cheeks are swelling thats is due to Infection, aerobic as well as anaerobic, and the fever is due to the infection. And just pain killers arent going to solve your problem.

You need to consult your dentist and he or she will take a Radiograph or X-ray, and will advice you treatment, mostly extraction or Root canal treatment, but in few cases, incision and drainage is also needed if the infection is very much spread. But from your case presentation, i guess your swelling will be subsided with the help of Antibiotics which cover both aerobic as well as anaerobic infection, (dont try to self medicate yourself, consult your dentist) and pain killers, they will act efficiently when you are taking antibiotics alongwith it.

For any other querry, you can contact me anytime at Dental Care Forum and you can get some insight and information on different dental care procedures on my Dental Care Blog.

Dr. Shoeb Ansari
it needs to be removed get RCT done
yes i agree with you, go for root canal treatment.
  Anonymous's Response

Hi.... you seem to be getting an infection.  suggest you to start an antibiotic with a good pain killer.  This will improve your symptoms...

Hi, It is obvious that you are suffering from dental infection. Pain killer alone will not be of much help. Thus i suggest you to take a course of analgesics and antibotics after consulting a dentist. Do not take medicines without consultation

Dentist Dr. Akbar's  Response