How to deal with a teenager having casual approach towards life ?

Nowadays i am quite worried about my brother. He is 19 yrs old. At schooling he was above average student. From childhood he had sharp mind but casual approach Now he is in BCom 2nd year but he is still continuing that casual approach which leads his failure in 1st year. He wasted his one academic year and about to waste second. We tried to tell him in all the possible ways we know but in vain. We never forced him to take a particular field he has taken it on his own but god knows where the problem arises. My mother used to compare him with his friends and our cousins but now from last 1 2 yrs she stopped it as it may cause a depression . His behavior is becoming a cause for mental stress to my parents and so to me. Please suggest what to do.
Asked On : Thu, 24 Mar 2011