How is painful and frequent urination treated ?

Yesterday I woke up with felt I needed to urinate urgently. When I did it was painful, felt just like a UTI , which I ve had before.The first time I went to washroom it was the normal amount but had a very awful scent. After that every time I went to the bathroom it was less. I went right a way to my doctors to get this sorted before it grew worse. They took a urine sample and it came back negative, I did not have a UTI. Throughout the day the pain went a way. But I was still going to the washroom often. And then today I woke up early in the morning and have to go to bathroom right a way, again, smelling awful. I don t have any body tenderness or pain and I m not more tired then usual. I m a fairly healthy eater but can t remember the last time I ve had asparagus. My lower abs (i d say right above my bikini line) is hard to push on too. What could this be?
Asked On : Mon, 23 Apr 2012
Urologist 's  Response
hi nikki, get a urologist opinion for your pain. UTI and urinary stones can present in similar fashion. There can be a few other causes too. At times, in UTI, urine sample may be diluted by taking lot of fluids, and bacteria counts may be below lab threshold values, so they may report as negative. Better see a specialist for the same. take care.
General & Family Physician Dr. Vijay Immaneni's  Response
The symptoms u mentioned can occur with uncomplicated uti"s please get a ultrasound of abdomen and pelvis to rule out any kidney /bladder related problems. a K.U.B X RAY will also ruleout any caliculi issues. early morning urine sample along wid culture shall be good for fiinding any infections.until then u can start a course of antibiotic tab phexin 375mg twice daily along with tab urispas thrice daily and tab pan40mg dailyy once before breakfast. drink plenty of fluids specially cranberryjuice, buttermilk,coconutwater etc along with minimum 3lit of water.