How can I overcome delayed speaking in my child ?

Hi Doctor , I have son of 2 years 4 months. He is active , intelligent and obident and healthy . I have concerned only about that he is not speaking properly. The only words he speak is mummi or papa, even asked to say then only Bye bye . He is able to say how dog bark or cat meow. I am worried as children of this age group starts to speak two word sentence. He is listening the command properly. i need your advise at this step how to solve the problem of delayed speaking in my child.
Asked On : Thu, 1 Mar 2012
Pathologist and Microbiologist 's  Response
hello. welcome to HCM.
it is important to realise that all children behave and develop differently. You cannot compare childrens milestones at each step with one another. These are common unexplained facts that boys will usually speak late some will even do so by 2.5 years. They will have less attention span and may be felt by parents to be overactive and aggressive. My advise will be to wait for a few months and interact in a loving way with the child. The best you can do to rule out a tongue tie by a surgeon. He will speak gradually over a few months. May be daily interaction with other children in the same age group will help.
take care.