How are brittle toe nails softened ?

i have brittle nails specially my toe nails r superdry and c racky bcz of dat my toe luks weird.plz help:(
Asked On : Sat, 11 Jun 2011
hello sunita
welcome to health care magic
brittle nails is sign of inadequate take care of your diet.
have food rich in vitamin and calcium.calcium is rich in milk n milk products.apply moisturiser on nails before going to bed.and drink plenty of water which is atmost important.
good luck
Radiologist Dr. Pranav's  Response
Brittle fingernails are a common condition, occurring more in women than in men.Nails break or peel off in horizontal layers, starting at the free end.These are caused by trauma, repeated exposure to detergents and water, excessive exposure to harsh solvents, such as those found in nail polish remover. These are also caused by medical conditions--- Raynaud's disease,hypothyroidism, skin diseases (psoriasis, lichen planus), Sjogren's syndrome and malnutrition & Selenium poisoning.
Treatments include treating the cause, multivitamins containing Silicon, zinc, Iron & Vitamin A.
Get your hormonal profile checked & watch for avoiding nail trauma.