How Loud is Mechanical Heart Valve ?

I've had some episodes of nearly blacking out after strenuous exercise so I went to my doctor. My Aortic Bicuspid has slowly gotten narrower to the point where I am having troubles when my body demands more blood flow then can be pushed through the small valve. I'm at 0.6cm whereas a normal heart valve can open to 2.6cm. And at 86mmHc mean Gradient which is considered severe / critical range. I'm still going to get a second opinion or more accurately a second echocardiogram at a univercity hospital instead of my local towns clinic to double check the numbers but I'm fairly sure the outcome will be the same because of the symptoms. I'm just struggling with it cause I feel completely normal except for the fact of not being able to sustain a 5+ mph run for more then 1/8th a mile. I'm only 32 years old. So if I get my valve replaced I'm told and agree mechanical is the way to go for the chance I wont need reoperation ever. How Loud is it, how annoying is the noise?
Asked On : Thu, 17 Dec 2009
Hi Mike as you know I've got a mechanical Aortic valve and with regard to how noisy it is, from personal experience, if you're sitting in a very quiet room someone sitting about a few feet away will be able to here it but I had mine fitted over twenty years ago and have no idea as to how loud the more modern ones are. As for how annoying they are at times it gets to me but most of the time I hardly notice it(although I suffer from anxiety attacks so sometimes it worries me) and at other times it's quite reassuring. I'm getting a Echocardiogram soon as my doc has referred my to a heart and chest clinic for a yearly check up which will help as I'll know all is well!