Hole in heart at the age of 17, what is the treatment ?

hye my sister is 17 years old she has a hole in her heart , doctor told us for surgery , what if not?? will she die?
Asked On : Fri, 15 Jul 2011
welcome to healthcare magic forum

it is common condition .

it is operable and has excellent result .

u need to consult cardiac doctor

he will cure ur sister condition

it may be VSD OR ASD

result of surgery are excellent .

u need not to worry

she will be okay after operation.
General & Family Physician Dr. P. Mahesh's  Response

Welcome to HCM.
You have not mentioned whether it is ASD or VSD.
Hole in the heart needs to be closed surgically, otherwise it may cause problem later in life. The pumping action of heart will gradually decrease and there will be lot of strain on the heart.
Best treatment would be surgical correction of the defect in the heart.
Wishing your sister speedy recovery.

Welcome to HealthcareMagic.

we cannot exactly tell the mortality chances. But people with septal defects face frequent episodes of breathlessness chest pain cyanosis and it effects their lifestyle badly. It is better to get operated as per your surgeon's opinion and be symptom-free however the right treatment depends on what kind of septal defect or hole in the heart she is having. Please visit cardiovascular surgeon and get evaluated .