Hole between ear channel and root of helix. What do you think it is?

Hi! I have no idea who to ask and I m norwegian, so I hope you can understand me. For the last 8 years or so(ever since I was about 8) between my ear channel and the root of the helix , there has been a hole there ever since I was born(probably). It s not a big hole, it s quite small, but sometime some yellow-green-like stuff has been coming out of that hole. This has been going on for the past eight years. What is wrong with my ear? Thank you for your consideration.
Asked On : Sat, 26 Jan 2013
ENT Specialist 's  Response
Aug 2013
hello and welcome to HCM,

The hole which you have keenly observed and mentioned could be a sinus or a fistula in medical terms which is an opening in the wrong place!

Since you are also getting discharge from the opening you need to consult an ENT who can inspect the same and start the proper management protocol

He may first treat the infection within the sinus properly and then ask for imaging study to further delineate the sinus. Finally he may suggest a small surgery which can be performed in local anesthesia to permanently remove the problem

take care and do not try to meddle with the hole

Dr Sriram Nathan