History of anxiety, have had tinnitus and cold, congestion in sinuses. On xanax. Why were tonsils swollen?

HI,
I have had tinnitus most days for the last 10. it's very high, like the normal background pitch, but significantly louder. I've had some days where it's gone and then next day it will be with me all day. Sometimes it is one ear and sometimes the other or both. I have had cold symptoms during that time (some congestion in sinises, but I have been able to breath through my nose with little trouble). I am 51 and do have a history of anxiety problems, which might be feeding into it. I have tried antihistimines with little effect, one does of decongestants, which made it worse, and xanax, which helps a little. I already had that prescription for sleep. I had an incident 2 months ago with a fire alam and my ears were ringing good for over a week, but then everything was back to normal until just 10 days ago. I doubt there is a relation between the events. My tonsils were a little swollen yesterday and still a little red today, but not horrible. I wondered if you have any ideas about the ringing and if it could take a while to subside even if other cold symptoms are largely gone. I do a have an appointment to visit my doctor this Monday.
Asked On : Wed, 16 Oct 2013