High red blood cells

What does it mean when a dr says that your red blood cells r high ?
This is for my sister as shes 3 mths pregnant and been told this by her gp,she has an appt with the gp Monday. Thanks for all your great answers so far,its not nothing to do with her iron levels as shes been tested for this already and dehydrated well i dont think its this either as she drinks loads.Its something to do with her vitamin level being low.
Asked On : Wed, 16 Dec 2009
The medical term for this is polycythaemia. There are lots of causes for this, some of them are not important, but some of them can be very serious. I would imagine your sister had a routine blood test for her pregnancy and it was picked up then. Her GP will have arranged to see her to take a history and examine her to exclude any serious cause.