High morning blood sugar level, on diet to lose weight, planning for pregnancy. How can the blood sugar be lowered?

My morning BS level is little bit high. Constantly it was between 6.1 to 8 (canadian points) from past one week. Was diagnosed 3 to 4 weeks back. My height is 5 2 inches and 70.2 kgs as of now(trying to lose more lbs). At the time of first test, my fasting BS was 12.6. And now reduced to 8. I am on diet (as per dietitian ). My doctor was not given medication as she told me to lose the weight and wanted to see the self test results before she put me on medication (as I am planning for pregnancy). My after meal sugar levels were between 5.2 to 7.9 as per my time and the intake carb food. First 2 weeks walked 40 minutes to 1 hour. Now increased walk from 1 and ½ hour to 2 hours per day along with diet. Please advice, how can I lower the fasting blood sugar with out medication?
Asked On : Sat, 30 Jun 2012